Friday 1 February 2013

Dreams from the 1st/2nd of February

My dreams are always really long, warped and more than a little confusing so if I feel they're too long to write down in a narrative form, I'll just write it up in bullet points.

The first dream I had last night I think I'll just bullet point.

  • Driving along a coastal road with the sea on one side and lots of little beach huts on the other. I felt very calm.
  • Someone (not entirely sure who was driving) dropped me off in the middle of a forest where there was nothing but a picnic bench which I sat down on. I had the feeling I was waiting for someone, maybe my dad. 
  • After sitting hunched over on the bench for a while my phone buzzed. As I was looking at my phone, there was a lot of red around me and it was like I was surrounded by apples.
  • I had an email and it was from UCAS telling me I'd received an offer from Durham university. Obviously happy feelings. 
Most memorable thing(s) - Picnic bench, ocean. 

I woke up after this dream at about 5am but stayed in that strange state where you think you're awake but still actually are half asleep. I then dozed off again and had two more dreams.

Dream 2:

  • Volunteering in a charity shop (I have done this in the past) 
  • Went out to get some lunch from what I thought was Greggs but turned out to actually be the canteen from school. I asked for a chicken burger but when I got back to the shop and had a look inside it was a bright pink synthetic burger made from goodness knows what. I then declared I'd eat nothing but fruit and vegetables for the rest of my life.
  • I threw the burger on the floor which attracted a lot of bears. (Who knew England had so many bears roaming around?)
  • I befriended the bears through a kind of telepathic link and the rest of the dream was basically just me cuddling bears... I did mention my dreams are odd. 
Most memorable thing(s) - bears, sandwich, Greggs. 

Dream 3:
  • I'm pretty sure this dream was from the perspective of a boy.
  • I was riding a quad bike with an extremely drunk girl on the back of it.
  • Managed to navigate motorways but had some serious trouble steering and then one I got back to a very muddy dirt track road there were loads of other boys waiting to high 5 me on the side.
  • I didn't brake very gracefully and fell off the bike with the girl still clinging to the back of me.
  • The girl then proceeded to be very sick, thankfully none of it hit me.
Most memorable things - Quad bike. 

So those are my dreams from the night of February 1st/2nd and I think I'll make a post later maybe pulling out the most important details and using a dream meanings website, although I won't look too far into it as I want the art I create to be true to the actual dream world, not the meanings of the dreams.

I also think I ought to explain the question I have chosen.

I chose Transformation which was probably the broadest question on the paper. After seeing the Jim Shaw at the Baltic, I was intrigued by his selection of Dream Drawings which are exactly as the name suggests: detailed pencilled drawings of whatever his subconscious came up with that night. Unfortunately, none of the questions on the paper were specifically related to dreams or mentioned dreams in the description but after brainstorming, I decided that with Transformation I could make it fit, as I'd be recording my dreams every morning (or what I remember of them, as does Jane Gifford) and then transforming these flashes of dream into art. 

We also discussed perhaps choosing Relationships and exploring the relationship between my subconscious and the real world, or Layers and delving into the different layers of my dream world. At this stage in the project I don't need to have made a concrete decision and I do like the idea of Layers but for now I'm sticking with Transformation.


0 comments:

Post a Comment